It is important to remember that if you are going to own a pet, you will be responsible for their life and comfort. For this reason, you have to know the characteristics of the animal you will own, and the living conditions of it and get a suitable bird cage for your pet.
Since many people do not know what size a suitable parrot cage and bird cage should be, they only have to make a cage selection by the seller’s or breeder’s instructions. This choice often results in the purchase of a cage that are not suitable for our parrots and birds to live in.
Here is a sample of a wrong cage choice:
I will give you a few tips that will make our pets live a more comfortable life in their cages;
- First of all, you should not forget that it is a bird and it needs to fly. Therefore, when choosing a cage you should pay attention to the fact that there is little space for our bird to fly.
- The birds are not usually flying from bottom to top. They will fly horizontally, so it is important to consider having a longer bird cage in width.
- The bird cage should not be round, round cages cause birds and parrots to lose their sense of direction. Rectangular cages are the best ones.
- You should stay away from painted bird cages, they might look fancy but our curious little birds will get poisoned if they decide to discover how it tastes.
- There must be a grid on the bottom of the cage, that way we keep our birds away from playing with their poops and stale foods.
- Perches should be wooden and not so thin. Plastic perches will cause health problems in the long run.
- Avoid cages with a mirror as your birds and parrots will stop bonding with you.
Here are a few samples for good bird cages and parakeet cages;
I will be adding soon!
Here are a few samples for good parrot and macaw cages;
I will be adding soon!
You should also consider adding those in the cage;
- Cuttlebone; helps trimming the bird’s beak and provides calcium.
- Water and Food pots; Those shouldn’t be made of plastic, and should be as big as your bird’s head can easily fit into.
- Colorful Ropes; parrots and birds love chewing stuff. A rope is a good choice as it keeps them busy for a long time.
- Puzzles; In the wild, parrots and birds spend a long time for finding the food, but this is not the case for pets, the food is always ready! Luckily there are some toys that will make their job more difficult and keep their brains working.
*Avoid getting toys that has sharp edges.
These are the most important criteria before buying a bird cage. Do not forget to fill the cage with lots of bird toys and bird foods!
The better you prepare your bird’s and parrot’s life environment, the more and healthier they will live.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to write as a comment.